About Me

My photo
Diagnosed at 39 with Stage IV IDC breast cancer, grade 2, metastatic to the liver, and ER/PR+ and Her2-negative.

Friday, October 31, 2014

October 31: A Day Of Thanks

Thank you for spending October with me. As the Breast Cancer Awareness Month comes to a close, so does this run of Pinktober postings of Metastatic Advocacy. I am still an Advocate, and I will still post about Metastatic issues, but this month was a special project. As October ends and we're about to enter November, which holds the American holiday of Thanksgiving, I'd like to give thanks to certain people.

Thank you, to my readers, who are helping me make this blog into something that inspires and motivates me.

Thank you to my parents. Dad and Mom, I wouldn't be where I am without your love and support, both emotional and financial. Thank you for everything you've selflessly done for me. I love you.

Jennifer & Susanne.
Photo taken by Marla Austin Photography

Thank you to Jen, the love of my life. You are brilliant and amazing, and a bright source of joy to me. I count myself blessed every day that I have your love. Thank you for always standing by me, for supporting me, for taking care of me when I need it. You are my darling, my everything, my forever, and my wife. I love you now and always.

Thank you to Dr. Steven Dunder, my oncologist. You have shown me the patience of Job when I was still blinded from all the pinkwashing and in denial about my diagnosis, and you have proven to be good to your word, fighting this disease alongside me with as much passion and determination as I am. It was chance that I ended up with you for my oncologist, but a very lucky chance. You're a solid partner in this battle and I'm grateful for everything you've done.

Thank you to the nurses and staff at the Southeast Nebraska Cancer Center. You all actually succeeded in making me feel at home and welcome, in a cancer center of all places, with being recognized and called by name when I approach the reception desk, to the phlebotomists and their patience with my sometimes-stubborn port, to the radiology techs who give me my CT scans and plenty of sympathy when the contrast injection makes me sick, to the nurses in the exam area and in infusion who are always ready to answer questions and talk a little bit about life in general, seeing each and every one of us as a human being, and not just a patient. Thank you for all that you do.

Thank you to the "midlevel providers" at SNCC. You guys are top-level providers in my opinion. The care and treatment you give us is above and beyond excellent. Thank you for taking care of me.

Thank you to Bronson Riley, for being such a wonderful Genetic Counselor. You have patience and passion and a remarkable ability to explain genetics to the rest of us. Thank you for walking me through the process of getting tested for the BRCA mutation.

Thank you to Catherine Verplank, my oncology nurse navigator. You are a pleasure to work with and are always just an email away if I need you. Thank you for all that you do.

Thank you to my friends, old and dear, who have stood by me as the news of my diagnosis broke, and offered all the support you could. Thank you for being there, and for still being here as my friend. Thank you for crying with me, for laughing with me, for helping me come up with enough posts to fill this month, and for being just generally awesome.

Thank you to my new friends, my sisters and brothers united against this horrible beast, for giving me a safe space to vent and an understanding ear to listen, letting me know I'm not alone in feeling the way I do. Thank you for your support and encouragement, and for the inspiration you give me.

No comments:

Post a Comment