About Me

My photo
Diagnosed at 39 with Stage IV IDC breast cancer, grade 2, metastatic to the liver, and ER/PR+ and Her2-negative.

Saturday, October 18, 2014

October 18: Conversations With Cancer

Bringing in another question from Facebook today.

I've been on a kick watching House lately, and something Wilson said in an episode really sort of struck me and made me wonder. Paraphrasing here, "Once they find out you've been diagnosed with cancer, EVERY conversation is about cancer." what about reclaiming parts of a normal life? What's been easy to go back to, what's been hard to go back to? - Laura

 I think this is one of the points that divide Stage IV from early-stage cancer. With early-stage cancer, you have a chance at moving into a point of your life where cancer is a thing of the past. For Stage IV, it's always going to be there, and there's never going to be a point in your life that's "after the cancer". That makes it harder to keep the cancer from taking over your life and becoming the focus of every waking moment.

For me, getting back into writing has been hard. I was participating in 2013's NaNoWriMo when we found out, and I was ahead of the projected word count at the time. However, once the news came in, all creative energy was zapped out by the stress. I've done a little bit of creative writing here and there, but not like I used to. My writing energy has been going toward nonfiction, these blog posts and my memoir. Cancer has taken over my writing.

I do have plenty of conversations that don't have cancer as a focus, but it's still there in my mind, an underlying note. It's like any major lifestyle change. In the early days it's a Big Thing that can be overwhelming to think about, but as time goes on, it fades into the background where it's always present but not always noticed.

I focus so much of my energy on cancer because I've found passion in Stage IV Advocacy. The more I learn, the more I realize that there aren't enough voices crying out in the wilderness, we still lack the attention we need to bring in the funding to get the necessary research. It takes energy to maintain passion though, and I don't know how much longer I'll have the energy I need to do this. So I'm focused on getting as much done as I can before I have to take a rest.

I miss my old life. Sometimes I want to go back to the days when I was busily typing away and making word count, before my world turned upside down. I'd like to be able to live a beautiful life of denial sometime, and maybe then I can go back to writing fiction. I can't escape reality right now because my best chance at surviving my reality is advocacy and raising funding for Metastatic research that might benefit me down the line.

Yes, I admit that part of my motivation is entirely selfish. I don't think anyone with metastatic disease is fighting for awareness and research funding simply for other people. If we don't live long enough to see a viable treatment come our way, so be it, and our fellow metsters who survive us might still benefit. But it would be nice to see some results from our hard work, you know? We'd all like to live. There's nothing wrong in that.

My life changed so dramatically, I went from working to not working in order to keep the health insurance I'm on, and then I went from constant treatment to once a month injections. It was difficult to get back into a normal pace for life and find the energy to do things and accomplish things and interact with people for a while. After I finished chemo, I spent well over a month doing little but binging on Hulu and staring off into space. In some ways, my cancer has helped me find a focus to get back into life again by fighting for awareness, and sparked passion in me again.

So I guess that quote holds some truth. Once you have cancer, every conversation is about cancer. It's exhausting though, and I look forward to running some of the heat off this passion so I can take a vacation from cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment