About Me

My photo
Diagnosed at 39 with Stage IV IDC breast cancer, grade 2, metastatic to the liver, and ER/PR+ and Her2-negative.

Monday, February 24, 2014

Dance Within the Flame

So. Metathriving. Why the cutesy wordplay off Metaviving, which is a cutesy wordplay in itself?

Well, for starters, I'm a writer, and I like me some cutesy wordplay, darnit.

Secondly, I've never quite liked the word surviving. If this were something with a beginning and an end, like a really bad bout of the flu, that would be one thing. But this is a new normal, my new life in Cancerland.

I'm not going to stand outside the fire just because I got relocated to a new normal.

Standing outside the fire.
Standing outside the fire.
Life is not tried, it is merely survived
If you're standing outside the fire.


Merely survived. I don't intend to merely survive this. Going through the motions of living to make it from one day to the next. Maybe some days that'll all I'll be capable of doing, and that's fine. But on the days I can do more, I intend to be more. Continue with my dreams, my goals, with living life. Not just surviving it, but thriving in it.


We call them strong,
Those who can face this world alone,
Who seem to get by on their own,
Those who will never take the fall.

We call them weak,
Who are unable to resist
The slightest chance love might exist,
And for that forsake it all.

They're so hell-bent on giving, walking a wire,
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire!

No comments:

Post a Comment