About Me

My photo
Diagnosed at 39 with Stage IV IDC breast cancer, grade 2, metastatic to the liver, and ER/PR+ and Her2-negative.

Monday, September 29, 2014

Wedding: A Recap

As I write this, I'm snacking on dipped pretzels provided by Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory as wedding favors. They're good.

It's Monday night. well, technically, Tuesday morning. Twenty-four hours ago, I was collapsed exhausted in a very comfortable bed at the Hampton Inn, recovering from a day which, for me, began at four in the morning. I've been waking up at that time for the last week and a half to take my antibiotic, which has me accustomed to the routine. It was only two hours before the alarm would go off and I couldn't fall back asleep, so I decided the hell with it and got up.

We left shortly before 8:30 to stop to get a newspaper which had an article about us in it, and some drinks for the trip, then picked up a friend on the way out of town. We went to the Hampton Inn for early check-in, meeting the wedding planner, and got our first glimpse of where we'd spend the night. We were then given the jewelry donated by Rhylan Lang. One necklace was a pendant, the other was a strand of three. They went beautifully with our dresses. The pendant matched the gemwork on my dress's bodice, and the three-strand one matched the drape of Jen's gown.

Then we went to the reception hall and got a preview of that, and boarded the party bus for Council Bluffs. At the EQ School of Hair Design, the bridesmaids all got dressed while the instructor, Margi, herself a two-time breast cancer survivor, helped me with my wig and styled in the veil and tiara. Christine from Blush Makeup Artistry painted up my face. I was airbrushed, such a weird sensation, and I wore false eyelashes for the first time.

Christine, myself, and Margi


The bridesmaids all had their hair and makeup done after, while the rest of the party bus riders relaxed in the salon with snack sacks my mother put together and brought to the salon for everyone.

The wedding party plus Kim at the salon


After that was done, we all boarded the bus again and headed to Willow Creek Glass Chapel. We got lost once and had to turn around, and it was well off the beaten path on gravel roads which kicked up a ton of dust. Because some windows were open due to the warm temperatures, everyone at the back of the bus got covered in dust.


Jen and I got changed into our gowns after we got there, and donned the jewelry and posed for pictures. While standing around and trying to walk in them, my pumps rubbed the sides of my feet raw so I ended up abandoning them for the actual ceremony, especially since I had to go up and down several steps without a railing, which isn't easy for me to do.

Aside from the shoes, the ceremony went beautifully. Once we were done and out, we boarded the bus again for a much longer trip, without any stops this time, for the reception hall.

From L to R: Caity, Micchi, Rebecca F., me, Jen, Sara, Amanda, Rebecca H.
 Dinner was excellent and for the first time in my life I had a potato salad I liked. Sweet potato salad. Then we cut the cake.



After the cake came the first dance. The song we picked dropped the F-bomb a few times, but it was so perfectly us we had to use it. Here's To Us by Halestorm.

We danced the Time Warp, we were given a bottle of homemade mead from a friend, everything went perfectly. There were a few minor bumps here and there, we were devoured by mosquitoes during the photo shoots, and I have not been that physically active in a long time and I felt like a giant bruise by the end of the night, but it was beautiful and perfect and we loved it.

Cake was chocolate, the cupcakes were raspberry



No comments:

Post a Comment